Welcome to Compline on Sunday Evenings in Lent at 6:15 pm.
Sung Compline in Lent
“The Lord Almighty grant us a peaceful night and a perfect
An Order for Compline, slightly shortened & adapted from the 1979 Book of Common Prayer (pages 127 – 135) in the following ways, reflecting the form of the Office as it was prayed in parish churches in the ancient Sarum Use:
1. The Opening Sentence is gently re-worded.
2. The Confession of Sin is omitted.
3. The Psalm (Psalm 4) is bookended with an antiphon (“Have mercy upon me O God, and hearken unto my prayer”).
4. The Hymn is sung between the Respond “Into your hands” and the Versicle “Keep us.”
5. The Canticle (Nunc dimittis) is sung earlier in the service, before the prayers.
Psalm: Psalm 4, Cum invocarem
Hymn: #43, “All Praise to thee, my God, this night”
Second Collect: For Lent (Ash Wednesday)
Officiant: Dr. Mark Ardrey-Graves
Choir: Tenor & Bass Trio from the St. Paul’s Schola Cantorum